webform test

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Digital Civilization = More Employable

My Digital Civilization class is paying off more that I could have imagined and with immediate benefits. As a student I am on the look out for jobs that I can do while in school and hopefully after I graduate. I was speaking with a classmate in another class recently and he mentioned that Boostability, where he works is looking to fill some positions. I asked him what he does and he told me about Search Engine Optimization (SEO).


Search engines like Google and Bing use algorithms to sort through the billions of web pages to find what is the most relevant to your search. To do this, the algorithms or designed to look at a few key metrics, then based off these metrics the computer knows which web page is most relevant to you and can rank them.

I sent in my resume with a positive recommendation from my friend and was granted an interview. So I drove to their offices in American Fork to meet with them. Just finding the building turned out to be an adventure. Boostability is growing so fast that they are out growing their office spaces. They aren't even in one place long enough to hang a sign on the outside of the building before they hire so many people that they have to move into a larger space to accommodate the new employees.

The interview went well and it seemed like I would be a good fit for the job. The main talking point for the interview was my Digital Civilization class.  The interviewer was impressed that I was already maintaining a blog and was learning 'best practices' through my class. It was a great moment where what I was learning in school was directly applicable to real life and finding a job. Unfortunately the only problem was my school schedule. I was unable to change my afternoon classes to fit the available positions.

However I did get a peak into the services they provide. As part of Boostabilities sales and advertising, they offer free website analysis. I signed up for a free analysis and found out that my site is very much lacking. Apparently it would rank 98th out of 100 sites surveyed. One of the top websites in terms of SEO was Barnes and Noble I think.

Overall it was a great experience. Let's find out how your blog stacks up against professional sites.

1 comment:

  1. Eventhough you couldn't take the job, that is awesome that this class helped you be more fit for the job. Here is an article called "Seven Secrets to Building Marketable Skills": http://encarta.degreesandtraining.com/articles.jsp?article=featured_seven_secrets_for_building_marketable_skills.
    Interestingly, 3/7 recommendations involve technology and being more current with technology.

    Yay! Even more ways that this class will pay off!

    ReplyDelete